January 8, 2014
The Polar Vortex has brought extreme conditions to Maryland. Low temperatures and harsh wind chills are making for dangerous conditions for Maryland’s residents and homes. Here are a few easy tips for keeping yourself, your family members and your home safe from the extreme weather:
- Dial Up The Heat. Turn up the temperature in your home a few degrees. Also, adjust your digital thermostat so that it doesn’t go too low when you are not at home.
- Add On Some Extra Layers. BUNDLE yourself up! Don’t leave home without your warmest jacket, winter hat, scarf, gloves, boots and anything else that will keep you warm.
- Add Some Extra Layers To Your Home, Too! Adding weatherstripping to your exterior doors and windows will help to keep your home’s heat in and the frigid temperatures out. Also, put up any storm doors and windows that you may have.
- Let Your Water Flow. Allowing your faucets to drip warm water slowly will prevent your pipes from freezing and bursting.
- Check In On Senior Citizens. The cold weather effects the elderly more than the rest of us. Check in on any older friends and loved ones during this deep freeze.
- Protect Your Pets. Try to avoid having your pets outside – these temperatures are too cold for our fur-covered friends too!
- Beware Of Space Heaters. Although they can offer a great way to heat small spaces quickly, they also cause fires every year. They can potentially burn you as well. Never leave them unattended and keep them away from anything that can catch fire. Also, keep them away from small children and animals.
- Check Your Oil Level. If you heat your home with oil be sure that your tank isn’t running low.
- Don’t Drive Without Prepping Your Automobile. Make sure that your car’s battery, windshield wiper fluid and antifreeze levels are where they need to be before you leave home.
Heating and plumbing issues are likely to pop up during this time of year. Shipley’s professional plumbers and HVAC technicians are on call 24/7 so call us if you experience any heating or plumbing issues.
previous post: WINTER PREPAREDNESS TIPS | next post: Show Your Water Heater Some Love!
You and your home deserve Ship Shape service from dedicated Maryland plumbers, drain cleaning and home heating and air conditioner repair techs,
Get It Done Today – 301-683-7080.